Barefoot Librarian Newsletter November 2020
Dorktales Storytime Podcast
Hosted by Jonathan Cormur
This month I want to introduce to a storytelling podcast called Dorktales Storytime rather than a book. Books often have their origins in oral storytelling. Jonathan Cormur, the talented young man who does the voice-overs in these podcasts, is on the autism spectrum. The professional quality of these podcasts demonstrates to children that disabled does not mean unable.
These podcasts are engaging, entertaining, and educational. They include retellings of classic fairy tales as well as true stories of historical figures. My favorite Hidden Heroes of History episode is about Louis Armstrong. I learned several new facts about him, including Mr. Armstrong’s role in civil rights. Below find more information about the podcasts provided by the creators of Dorktales.
Dorktales Storytime Podcast is classic children’s fairy tales told with a geek-ish twist! Jonathan Cormur is the host (and storyteller) of the family-fun podcast that featuring geeky-retellings of fairy tale classics and true tales about the Hidden Heroes of History. Think Fractured Fairy Tales meets Big Bang Theory and the History Detectives!
In Dorktales Storytime Podcast, Jonathan is joined by his plucky puppet sidekick, Mr. Reginald T. Hedgehog (or “Mr. Redge,” if you prefer) to tell goofier versions of tales that have delighted kids for generations.
The shows are suitable for preschool and early elementary school ages and are an excellent way to keep kids engaged and learning while have loads of giggles and entertainment.
Dorktales Storytime PODCAST is AVAILABLE ON:
Apple Podcasts: https://apple.co/3kSUJZQ
Amazon Music: https://bit.ly/dorktales-amazon-music
Google Podcasts: https://bit.ly/dorktales-google
Find more on Podcast website: https://jonincharacter.com/dorktales/
You may recognize Jonathan from his work with his mom, Jodi, from Geek Club Books and Zoom Autism Magazine. His new podcast for kids, Dorktales Storytime Podcast, showcases his career as a successful voice actor who also happens to be on the spectrum.
Online Book Fairs can be hosted from anywhere in the continental U.S.!
Online book fairs with the Barefoot Librarian are easy as 1,2,3!
1. Contact the Barefoot Librarian to set up your book fair.
2. The Barefoot Librarian will send you a flier with your online book fair links & other book fair info.
3. Share the flier to the school’s families and supporters, as well as reminders during the book fair and start earning free books! (Or choose a cash option.)
Online book fairs advantages
1. Family & supporters can purchase books to support the school even if they live far away.
2. Ability to expand the number of days your book fair runs.
3. Books are shipped directly to the families.
4. You can run a Barefoot Books book fair and an Usborne Books & More book fair simultaneously.
5. Families can purchase all titles available on the Barefoot Books and Usborne Books & More websites, giving them a much wider selection to choose from.
Your school can easily boost its sales!
1. Host a book talk via a zoom meeting. (Whenever the Barefoot Librarian hosts a book talk for parents, the book she recommends always sell out.)
2. Record this zoom meeting for parents to watch at their convenience.
3. Have teachers fill out their Barefoot Librarian classroom wish list form.
4. Have teachers convert their wish list into a google doc to share with their parents.
Purchasing books from the
Barefoot Librarian is just a click away!
Need help selecting just the right books to purchase?
Contact me anytime!
Barefoot Books creates “…beautiful books that celebrate diversity, spark curiosity and capture children’s imaginations.” Since 1993 they have been “…sharing books and gifts that inspire children to be compassionate, creative and curious.” Many of their books represent different cultures and diverse characters.
Usborne Books & More “Usborne and Kane Miller books are the most exciting, engaging, and educational books on the market today. They are high-quality, innovative, lavishly-illustrated, and best of all, they are the books kids love to read. Choose from over 1,800 bright, colorful, and fun titles covering a wide variety of subjects. From activity books, to neat fiction series, to internet-linked science and history encyclopedias, Usborne does books better.”
“Kane Miller has published award-winning children’s books from around the world for more than 25 years. They bring to life fantastic fiction stories for older readers and wonderful multicultural picture book stories for younger readers. All of these are stories that will make you smile, think, cry, or laugh ‘til you have tears in your eyes.”
Interested in selling Barefoot Books and/or Usborne Books & More?
Earn money by selling books online from your home.
Please contact me
I would love to hear from you!
Please contact me anytime with all of your book needs! I will be happy to recommend and sell you great books to enhance and enrich your lesson plans.